A Dozen Good Eggs

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Persepective

Another mom, A fellow adoptive mom, A fellow mom of a child with disabilities, her child came from the same country as some of mine. Tonight, I tucked my children in for the night with every intention of seeing them in the morning. Tonight, She had to say goodbye forever to her child. I watched Charlie Brown with my kids tonight. She watched her child slip away. I cooked and did the dishes, she lost her child. My heart breaks for this family. My heart breaks that we live in a world where children die.  Perspective. When a child dies you get a new perspective.  Even the most annoying behavior of my children suddenly takes on new meaning. It means they are alive. they enjoy the privelege of surviving another day.  We say goodnight, knowing that we will see each other again in the morning. We believe this wholeheartedly,  and yet, someone else is saying goodnight for the last time.  We eat and clean up never realizing another family has lost their appetite due to the lump of grief in their throats.  My heart breaks for this fellow mom, for her family, for the siblings of the sweet little boy whom they will not bring home again. Rest in Peace Henry. All across the world people are thinking of you with love.

A Child Of Mine
Edgar Guest
I will lend you, for a little time, A child of mine, He said. For you to love the while he lives, And mourn for when he's dead. It may be six or seven years, Or twenty-two or three. But will you, till I call him back, Take care of him for Me? He'll bring his charms to gladden you, And should his stay be brief. You'll have his lovely memories, As solace for your grief. I cannot promise he will stay, Since all from earth return. But there are lessons taught down there, I want this child to learn. I've looked the wide world over, In search for teachers true. And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you. Now will you give him all your love, Nor think the labour vain. Nor hate me when I come To take him home again? I fancied that I heard them say, 'Dear Lord, Thy will be done!' For all the joys Thy child shall bring, The risk of grief we'll run. We'll shelter him with tenderness, We'll love him while we may, And for the happiness we've known, Forever grateful stay. But should the angels call for him, Much sooner than we've planned. We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, And try to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment