A Dozen Good Eggs

Friday, September 21, 2012

update on Sophie

fixater removal surgery went well. pink cast was applied and fixater was applied to other leg. She has had bad luck with epidurals. they dont work well for her. This time was different. She had an OUTSTANDING anasthesiologist. They were unable to get an iv in and after an hour of trying(under sedation) they were going to have to put in a picc line.) at the last second before I signed authorization for picc line they got a good iv. She came out of surgery comfortable. she has never come out comfortable before. things went well until about noon yesterday(day after surgery) then she started screaming and thrashing about ONE pin site. always just that ONE site that hurt. (She very much likes fentanyl ) they took an xray thinking since her bones are so thin perhaps there was a break from the pin going in. no break. so they started her on some oral meds and changed solution for the epidural. she was again calm this afternoon. Auntie Becky gave her an awesome new electronic gadget that is like an ipad for kids. that kept her entertained and happy for a long time. but suddenly she wanted to put it away. wise girl that she is, gave me the innotek2 and then told me she was going to throw up. While she had been playing the game I got her to eat two bites of chocolate pudding. she said it tasted bad. within a couple minutes of putting the game away she threw up, chocolate pudding and the eggs she had for breakfast. but she was feeling comfortable again. so all in all things are on track, even better than last time. Epidural is supposed to come out tomorrow morning so I am guessing she will go to the floor tomorrow. As long as she has the epidural she is in PICU. I expect she will be discharged around monday or tuesday.

Meanwhile I am staying at Camden Ronald McDonald house. Its lonely here. I dont know anyone. the people I do know who are in town are not staying here. The friend I was looking forward to seeing is no longer coming. Everyone likes to stay at the other house. We cant stay at the other house for various reasons so we will be here all month. Good thing I brought plenty of school work for the kiddo. I am not making her do homework while in the hospital. but when she gets out we will be able to spend a lot of time on it. If she did homebound she would get one hour per day per grade. so she would get one hour a day with teacher. she will have all day with me so we can spend several hours on it as well as seeing many cultural sights and still getting to our doctor appointments.

Thats about all the news from here. Its boring and I think I will go to bed. I did ride 7 miles on the stationary bike tonight. hope to do that again tomorrow sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment